Interview with Loud Shaft, winners of Planetrox China 2018. Planetrox 2018 中國區冠軍 ── Loud Shaft特約訪談

We at the Underground recently had the pleasure of interviewing Loud Shaft, the winners of Planetrox China 2018. The four man band (Alter Limbu (Vox), Sajan Gurung (guitar), Binay Gurung (Bass) and Ab Gurung (Drums)) were not only a great band with wonderful personalities but also a minority representative from Hong Kong with all four of the band members being Nepalese Hongkongers. We wanted to know more about their daily lives, inspirations and expectations for their upcoming performance at Envol et Macadam.
今次UNDERGROUND有機會與本年度Planetrox 2018 中國區冠軍Loud Shaft做訪問。Loud Shaft4位成員包括Alter Limbu (主音),Sajan Gurung(結他手),Binay Gurung(低音結他手)和Ab Gurung(鼓手),每位成員各具特色,更是香港少數族裔的成功代表因為他們都是尼泊爾裔香港人。今次訪問涵蓋成員的日常生活,以及他們對在Envol et Macadam表演的期盼。

You can read our previous coverage/reviews of the band here.
—-你亦可以透過以下連結閱讀我們之前與這個Planetrox China Final勝出樂隊的訪問。

Hi Loud Shaft! 你好,Loud Shaft

Again, congratulations for winning this year’s Planetrox China Final!  We want to know about your background – we’ve already heard your music and know how amazing that is but we’d like to know more about you outside of your music (and I’m sure your fans would too)
再一次恭喜你們成為Planetrox 2018 中國區冠軍。在欣賞完你們精彩的演出和音樂之後,大家都想知道更多你們的背景,以及音樂以外的你們(相信你們的樂迷都會吧
So here’s a few questions to get us going: 訪問內容如下:

How did you meet and how long have you been playing together?
你們的組隊經過和歷程是如何?
​ 
Our guitarist, drummer and vocalist met in their day jobs. Later on, we got to know about the bassist through other friends and got together. We have been playing together almost like 5 years now.
我們的結他手,鼓手和主音都是在工作時認識,之後經朋友介紹,認識了我們的低音結他手,我們就此組成。我們已經成軍5年了。

Who are your biggest musical influences?
什麼音樂對你們影響最深?

Sajan (Guitar): Rage Against the Machine
結他手Sajan:Rage Against the Machine
Ab (Drums): Slipknot
鼓手Ab:Slipknot
Binay (Bass): Rage Against the Machine
低音結他手Binay:Rage Against the Machine
Alter (Vox): Rage Against the Machine
主音Alter:Rage Against the Machine

 

What is the ultimate goal of the band?
樂隊的最終目標是什麼?

Our ultimate goal is to inspire our young generation to keep the Rock and Roll scene alive.
我們的目標是激勵年青人和一起支持搖滾下去

I understand that your whole band are Nepalese, would you consider yourself more from Nepal or HK? Were all of you raised here or did you move from Nepal over.
我知道你們都是尼泊爾人,你們會認為樂隊是尼泊爾樂隊或是香港樂隊?你們在香港長大或是從尼泊爾搬過來?
 
We may be Nepalese by nationality but as a band we consider ourselves more from HK because our band was formed/born in Hongkong and we did everything as a band here itself.
我們的國籍或許是尼泊爾裔但我們都認為我們是香港樂隊因為這對樂隊是在香港創立,亦在這個地方成長。

We all moved from Nepal.
我們都是從尼泊爾來。
 
Follow up: Do you have anything to say to your fellow Nepalese-Hongkongers as the band who represents HK at Envol?
續:得到此次機會代表香港在Envol演出,你會有什麼可以跟尼泊爾和香港的朋友說呢?
Yes, we want to let our fellow Nepalese-Hongkongers to know that if you guys are in the field of music or you want to be a musician, give it your 100%. Don’t be afraid to show people what you have whether it’s good or bad. If you are good enough then for sure you’ll be where we are someday.
有,我們想讓你們知道如果想組隊或從事音樂,你一定要盡全力,100%的努力。不要介意向觀眾展示你的音樂,不論好與壞。如果你做好音樂,終有一日,你會成為我們一樣。

At the Envol et Macadam festival you’ll get to play along some pretty big names like
​Propagandhi. What would be your ideal top-5 lineup?
你們將會與一些著名樂隊一起於Envol et Macadam festival演出,如Propagandhi。誰會是你們的最佳陣容?

The line-up would be Red Hot chili peppers, Lamb of God, Pantera, Slipknot, Rage Against the Machine
我們的最佳陣容會是Red Hot chili peppers,Lamb of God,Pantera 和Rage Against the Machine。


What’s going to happen now that you’re going on tour to Canada?
對於啟程到加拿大表演,你們有什麼準備?

Of course there will be a lot of practice to make ourselves better and compose more good songs because as we are representing Hongkong at Envol et Macadam, we want to make sure that they’ll remember the 4 crazy dudes from Hongkong.
我們已經加緊練習,期望將更好的表現和歌曲帶到當地,因為我們是代表香港在Envol et Macadam表演。我們希望觀眾記得這4個來自香港的「瘋」小子。

What do you hope to achieve there?
你們到當地有什麼目標?

We would like to give out the messages in our songs to more crowd and people, and hope they would like it. That would be a great achievement for us.
我們希望將歌曲的訊息帶給更多的觀眾,並希望他們喜歡。這是我們最大的希望。

Who was the first person you told about winning Planetrox China?
當你們成為Planetrox中國區冠軍,第一時間跟誰講?

We called our family for sure.
我們當然第一時間跟家人分享。


If you could collaborate with one local band who would it be? / why?
如果你們能夠與一隊本土樂隊合作,會是哪隊/為何?
​ 
We would like to collaborate with Two Finger Salute because we like their music and the way they play. Loud and aggressive just like us I guess.
我們很想跟Two Finger Salute合作因為我們喜愛他們的音樂及風格。像我們一樣吵和激進。

What do you guys do when you’re not practicing/performing? And (since you said you wanted to involve more young people), how would you recommend balancing day jobs with performing?
閒時你們會做什麼?能跟時下的年青人分享如何平衡工作和組樂隊?

We would probably be chilling with friends, haha or hiking maybe but we don’t know what we would be doing as we are always practicing in our leisure periods.
我們閒時跟朋友玩樂和行山,但我們也不太清楚因為空間時間都拿來練習了。

Well, we can’t exactly say how to balance that but if you are dedicated to music or have keen interest on getting better thenor sure you’ll automatically know how to do that.
很難說。因為當你真的熱愛音樂或任何事時,你自然會找時間去做自己想做的事。
What is your favourite moment on stage/ off stage as a band?
你們最享受樂隊台上/台下的什麼時刻?

The moment on stage would be interacting with the crowd and looking at each other’s nervous faces and laughing. Offstage, chilling with each other and joking around.
我們最享受跟觀眾互動或跟隊友的緊張對望,之後又大笑。在台下,我們自己閒聊,說笑。

What is your toughest moment as a band?
你們樂隊最困難的時候?
​ 
The toughest moment as a band would be writing new stuffs because we don’t get much time together at all.
寫歌對於我們是最困難的因為我們沒有很多時間在一起。
 
If you could combine with any band in the world and make a supergroup which band would it be and what would you be called?
如果你們可以跟任何一隊樂隊組成「超級樂隊」,你們會選誰及樂隊的名稱會是什麼?
​ 
Rage Against the Machine for sure. We would like to call ourselves Loud Rage.
一定是Rage Against the Machine。我們會叫 ‘Loud Rage’。

What would you be if you weren’t musicians?
如果不從事音樂,你們會是什麼職業?
​ 
Sajan (Guitar): A football player
結他手Sajan:足球員
Ab (Drums): Nothing at all
鼓手Ab:什麼都不做
Binay (Bass): A good son
低音結他手Binay:一個孝順的兒子
Alter (Vox): I would be travelling
主音Alter:我會做旅遊家

What are your favourite songs to sing in the shower?
你們洗澡時會唱什麼歌?
​ 
Sajan (Guitar): Bhanai, Binay
結他手Sajan:Bhanai, Binay
Ab (Drums): Mooskan
鼓手Ab:Mooskan
Binay (Bass): Cemetery Gates
低音結他手Binay:Cemetery Gates
Alter (Vox): Gangnam Style
主音Alter:Gangnam Style



You don’t have much social media presence. Is there any reason for this?
你們都不活躍於社交平台,有原因嗎?
Well to tell the truth, we are not very socially active people in person. We don’t know why that is but we are trying to improve that.
說實話,我們都不太外向。我們都不知道原因但我們會著手於這方面。

What are the roles of each member in the band? (e.g. the funny one, the leader, the slacker etc..)
你們各自在樂隊的角色是什麼?(例如:說笑,領袖,懶鬼等。。。
​ 
We all are mostly funny and comedians joking around. We don’t think we have a certain role.
我們都很風趣和經常捉弄對方。我們沒有特定的角色。

If you had to swap instruments in the band, what would you pick?
如果你們可以交換身份,你們會選什麼?

Sajan (Guitar): Drums
結他手Sajan:鼓手
Ab (Drums): Bass
鼓手Ab:低音結他手
Binay (Bass): Flute
低音結他手Binay:長笛
Alter (Vox): Drums
主音Alter:鼓手

Please describe your band within 2 words.
可以用兩個字形容這隊樂隊嗎?

The two word that describe our band is Loud Shaft hahaha
這兩個字就是。。。Loud Shaft !哈哈哈
 
Do you plan on recording any albums any time soon?
你們有打算錄製新碟嗎?
Yes, actually we were planning on our EP release this year but a bit of a change in the plan to do the first album directly. So, we’ll be releasing our album in the end of the year or may be first of 2019.
有。其實我們本來正在籌備今年內發佈迷你專輯,但因為某些原因,我們決定直接出大碟。所以我們或許在年底或2019年頭出碟。

Interviewed by Cyril Ma

Be Sociable, Share!